Monday, May 9, 2011

A Taste of Italian




Sometimes, I can look at an image and think to myself how amazing that particular scene is or how well it is put together. Other times, I take a glimpse and think to myself, ‘what a mess’. In a way Charles Moore’s Piazza d’Italia in New Orleans is really beautiful and well crafted, but I found it to be a bit overwhelming. The bright colors and close spacing creates a crowded image. The view is loud, and every detail is commanding attention. It seems too much. I’m one more for subtle beauty, but I suppose from what I’ve heard of New Orleans, subtlety is not key.


The colors and the architecture are beautiful. The presentation, the curves and corners, and the paths of the water create an interesting and somewhat lovely scene. I will not argue that, but I feel there is too much in one space competing for one’s attention. I’ve been to Italy, and I think of the open space and towering architecture beautiful in its age and quality. The architecture is large and controlling in presence surrounded by large open plazas and old stone roads. It is nothing like Moore’s portrayal in Piazza d’Italia. At first I was intrigued by its geometry and perspective, but never did it make me think of my experiences in Rome or Sorrento. More than anything, it made me think of the overcrowded, over extravagant, shop-lined streets of Capri, but even Capri’s natural beauty and elegance was much more awe-inspiring than Moore’s work. Perhaps if I only had post-card, commercialized images for comparison, I would find Piazza d’Italia entertaining, but I feel Moore has done no justice for Italian influence in New Orleans.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I am so jealous that you have been to Italy! I realize that pictures of the architecture can not possibly measure up to seeing it with your own eyes. From what I've seen, the ancient structures are beautiful and powerful, truly something that captivates. I agree that Moore's Piazza is not anywhere close in beauty to the original, but I can find value in the fact that he created something new. I have a lot of respect for anyone who produces their own take on something else, especially if they do it confidently and in their own vision. I believe that Moore achieves that. Beautiful: no, but interesting: yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to do my blog on this, but thought it was too overwhelming to write about(go figure!) At first, when I looked at this, I thought that it was a painting, not architecture. The bright colors, different geometric styles, and the overall look of "fakeness" really threw me off. It really surprised me when I found out the this was not a painting at all, but a place. You are right when you say that every detail commands attention. My eyeballs cannot rest on a single place. If I visited this place, I'd probably get dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is maybe a little too much, but also think that it is really cool. I think it helps to zoom out a bit and see the rest of the plaza which contains some really cool fountains. I think that if you were actually there, it would not be too much as it is a life size piece of work and not a small painting. You can walk around and admire the collage of architecture and also enjoy it from a distance.

    ReplyDelete