There was another piece in the book that I had recognized from high school, and that was The Liberation of Aunt Jemima by Betye Saar. For some reason this particular piece always interested me. Perhaps, like many of my other favorites, it depicts the ugly side of life rather than the beauty of our world. The woman depicted is not lovely in any way, but rather portrays all the less flattering stereotypes of African-Americans. One version shows the pancake figure holding a broom, pistol, and a rifle while a second version depicts a more motherly type holding a white child. In the center is a black fist raised up as a symbol of pride.
It is not the most beautiful piece of artwork, but I think that’s what I like most about it. It’s more ‘real’ and portrays the unflattering side of life we so often like to ignore. It’s in your face and you can’t look away, and that’s why I find it so interesting. Nothing is better than the smell of coffee beans, bitter and strong with nothing to temper the scent. That is what this artwork is like with the visual sense. There’s no sugarcoating something like this. It’s raw.
We like to think of Aunt Jemima as sweet and wholesome, but in Saar’s work, she is strong and foreboding. There is nothing sweet and pretty about this. Not even the child is the cute cherub face we so often like to coo over. I guess I’m just attracted to the bitter sense of reality and give credit to those that have the courage to stand up and shove it in your face. Otherwise we’re all living in a dream world where everything is just a matter of the perception of beauty.

Couldn't agree more. This picture tells it how it is/was. There's no beating around the bush...just plain truth. Its amazing how she took something so simple, so everyday as an Aunt Jemima pancake box and turned it an assemblage that made a political and social point. This was definitely something worth studying!
ReplyDeleteI, too, am a fan of the fact that this artwork brings out reality. The stereotypes are ugly, and Saar successfully portrayed that in a protest for equality. Every aspect of this painting shows talent.
ReplyDelete